Confidentiality for Under 18's
- The Practice recognises that the principles of confidentiality apply equally to all patients, irrespective of age.
- The Practice will ensure that its staff recognise that all patients under 18 are entitled to the same level of confidentiality as all other patients, including being respectful of any request to withhold information from their parents or guardians and take all necessary steps to ensure that this right of confidentiality is not inadvertently breached.
- Where a young person requests a consultation at the Practice premises, they will be booked in to see a clinician in the normal way.
- In the event that a young person attends the surgery without a pre-booked consultation and without adult support, the normal procedure for providing them with a consultation appointment will take place.
- Should the young person independently request medical advice or treatment the Practice clinician involved in the consultation with the young person will determine their competency and capability to understand the choices of treatment available and the consequences of such treatment.
- When such competency and capability is deemed to exist, the Practice clinician will provide appropriate medical advice.